We are currently seeking an experienced SQL DBA Manager / Team Lead to join an super exciting company based in London. We are looking for someone who is technically savvy with all things SQL Server related but that can also offer leadership and management skills of a small close knit team.
Ultimately, this is a management role, where you will be required to upskill, mentor and develop two DBA’s, whilst occasionally getting involved in more complex aspects of DBA functions. Our client’s technical landscape is vast, with approximately 20 physical SQL Servers, plus a number of cloud based databases as well as future scope to implement some MySQL in the near future.
You can expect to gain exposure to both older and newer technologies, comprising of ridiculously large, highly transactional databases (2tb+) and smaller, more niche systems. This is a position that would suit someone who is currently in a Team Lead or Senior DBA capacity who has the right stuff to lead a small team of DBAs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage workload and coordination of the team
- Ensure database performance and availability for all clients
- Work with development teams to improve database design, modelling and performance
- Manage allocation of work and ensure tasks are completed on time. This includes communication within the team and business but also to the client.
- Decide in conjunction with corporate leadership which technologies are most suited to meet business needs
- Responsible for recruiting team members and leading the interview process
- Experience of maintaining Data Warehouses, dealing with highly transactional databases and with VLDBs
- Expert in query, index and database IO performance tuning
- Expert in developing database security solutions to comply with ISO standards
- Working with Data in a GDPR compliant manner
- Monitoring database server health and space utilization
- Technical skills in Windows desktops and common office applications
- Familiarity with at least one scripting language like Windows Powershell, Ruby or Python
- Working experience of SQL Server versions 2008R2-2016 and Windows server 2008 R2 – 2016.
- Expert in performance optimisation, troubleshooting large T-SQL and nested stored procedures, functions and triggers.
Our client offers fantastic opportunities for career development, personal and professional growth as well as the chance to help define new offerings to clients.
Apply now for an initial consultation!!!
o Working experience of SQL Server versions 2008R2-2016 and Windows server 2008 R2 – 2016.
o Expert in performance optimisation, troubleshooting large T-SQL and nested stored procedures, functions and triggers.
o Hands on troubleshooting database related issues using SQL profiler trace and Perfmon.
o Working experience with High Availability techniques like Logshipping, Replication and Always-ON.
o SSIS, SSRS, Data Warehouses
o Commercial experience with any cloud platforms such as Google Cloud, AWS or Azure would be advantageous including
o Storage and Query optimisation and cost reduction
o Query efficiency performance tuning
o Commercial experience of MySql administration including
o Slow query optimisation
o Backup and maintenance
• Big Query
o Any working experience of Big Query or the GCP would be advantageous but not necessary.
Experience is more relevant that anything, however any relevant degree is considered advantageous
Any relevant DBA certifications are welcomed, although not essential
Strong blend of tech and people management skills
• Oversee the continuous improvement of people, processes and technology. Evoke creative and innovative thinking from team members while helping them to bring their ideas and career plans to fruition
• Mentor and coach team members. Assess training needs and define appropriate training pathways
• Possess the expert knowledge to identify opportunities for change and the ability to convey the need for change with developed business cases.
• Implement and ensure governance and compliance with the company’s standards and policies, including ISO27001 policies
• Decide in conjunction with corporate leadership which technologies are most suited to meet business needs
• Responsible for recruiting team members and leading the interview process
• Keep abreast of the latest industry trends and developments